No "Us" - Really about me
Every website needs an About Us page so that visitors and the search engines know you are a real person (although that is up for question any more) and legitimate. So, this is Essential Natural Remedies about me page, which is really just a bit of history.
Why Change the Name of the Website?
Originally, some 10 or so years ago, I built a website called Best Cheap Essential Oils, and it's done quite well. However, over time and in dealing with my own health issues, I've come to realize that essential oils are just a small portion of those natural remedies that can be used to improve and maintain health.
I still use essential oils some...not a lot because I have a couple of cats, and they don't do well when exposed to essential oils. (See, Essential Oils Hurt My Cat). However, I've also started using other natural remedies, and employ other non-pharmaceutical methods of obtaining, restoring, and staying healthy.
Thus, the website name changed to reflect the many other types of information I felt should be shared.
My History of Pharmaceutical Failure
Back in late 2004, I was diagnosed at "borderline hypothyroid"...the doctor flat out said, "I don't even know if I should prescribe anything...yeah I will." How I wish he had not done that, or that I had been more educated then and refused.
You can disagree with your doctor. You can refuse treatment. You can educate yourself. You can become your own health advocate.
In the last 16 years I have had to do all that. I won't bore you with the details, but I can here's a brief list of health issues I've encountered in the last 16 years, directly tied to the damage done to my thyroid by accepting the doctor's recommendation to take the Big Pharma darling Levothyroxin:
- Hair Loss - Within a week of starting Levo, my hair started falling out. Frightening. Now, 16 years later I wear wigs pretty much full time as the hair loss has become so extreme.
- Normal Thyroid Function Destroyed - taking Levo destroyed whatever thryoid function I still had. Before I could lose weight through a low carb/keto diet. Afterwards, nothing. Discovered my body no longer converted T4 to T3.
- Weight Gain - While I initially lost about 5 pounds, when after a back injury I stopped taking Levo, I gained 60 pound in a few short months. I've battled it ever since, only finding relief by taking T3 alone with NO T4.
- Gall Bladder Removed - Since the thyroid controls the digestive process, I ended up having gall bladder problems and had to have it removed. Very common with Hashimotos Thyroiditis (oh yeah, that was finally diagnosed about 12 years later)
- Atrial Fibrillation - When went into the hospital for the gall bladder it was discovered that I had atrial fibrillation, caused by too much T4 (was taking NDT at the time).
- Congestive Heart Failure - Again directly related to thyroid. Article in the NIH.gov website entitled "Low Free T3 Predictive of Death by Heart Failure" gives a clue.
- Mild Heart Attack - July 2018 had a mild heart attack. Recovered and am doing fine...but it was definitely as wake up.
Going Beyond Essential Oils
Now, before I go any further I have to tell you, I STILL use some pharmaceuticals. For instance, I currently take the generic of Cytomel, or liothyronine, aka T3. I have gotten the best results, have managed to lose weight, and seen a definite reduction in hypothyroid symptoms keeping my Free T3 levels at least in the upper 75% of the range, or even higher.
I also use some prescription drugs for the heart, still. However, I have through trial and error, eliminated and refused to take others that interferred with my thyroid medication. Trust me when I say this has been a battle, and I am so thankful that I have found a doctor that, while he may not respect my for the knowledge I have, he will at least prescribe what I want and need for my health. Also, he does insist on blood work so that he and I both know my levels.
In addition to the few pharmaceuticals, I also take vitamins, minerals, and some herbal supplements. For instance, Hawthorn and CoQ10, both for the heart, let me stop taking any type of blood thinner. Trust me, after a gastric bleed, you want to find another way to thin your blood naturally, to help with circulation and blood pressure.
I'm also a big believer in food as medicine. Look at what you are eating if you are having any type of physical issue.
Food: Friend or Foe?
In the process of becoming my own health advocate and taking charge of my health, I was forced to look at food. While you gotta eat to live, I discovered through a process of elimination and really paying attention to what my body was trying to tell me, that not all foods contribute to health. In fact, many of today's health problems can be directly linked to processed foods, additives, sugars, additives, chemicals, additives...did I say "additives"?
If you take nothing away from this page, take this...health begins in the gut, and food can kill ya.